If you are on Windows 7 using the non-aero theme, you will see that annotation is not enabled. Mouse over the button to see the tooltip:
Q: How do I enable Windows Aero?
A: Windows Aero is a design setting that enables enhanced graphical effects and allows more sophisticated Window Capturing in OBS. On the other hand, disabling Aero can improve Display Capture performance.
Change Aero setting by selecting an appropriate design theme:
- Go to Start > Control Panel
- In the Appearance and Personalization section, click Change the theme
- To enable Aero, select any theme under Aero Themes
Q: What are the requirements to use Screen Annotation?
A: Requirements are:
- Online Meeting Desktop Application or Elevate Desktop Application is required to enable Annotation
- If you are sharing your screen, you will not be able to annotate on other screens at this time. This feature is coming soon.
- Annotating on another person’s screen is supported on Chrome and the Online Meeting Desktop Application
- Windows 7 is supported only on an Aero Themed desktop
Q: Where can I see how to use Annotation?
A: Read the KnowledgeBase article on Screen Annotation for more information.
Q: I’m using the application and I still don’t see the Annotation button when I screen share?
A: Please confirm you have the newest version of Online Meeting or Elevate apps. You may need to contact your Administrator if the apps are updated through your IT Department.
The following ToolTips you may see for different statuses while using Annotation: